It might happen that your subscribers ask you to show what data you store about them. As a business owner and marketer it is your responsibility to fulfill this request. Automizy’s responsibility is to provide this option.
Therefore, you can export stored data about a subscriber from the profile page to a text file in machine-readable format.
Why is this feature important?
As we wrote in this article about GDPR, one of the most important right of your subscribers is “portability and access”.
It simply means that your subscribers can ask you to send them the data you store in Automizy about them.
Also it’s important that the data you provide is readable by machines and easily reachable when you send it to your subscribers.
How to provide personal data to your subscribers?
- Go to Contacts/Lists and click on the View button on the list where your contact is
- Search for the subscriber you wish to export and click the “VIEW” button
- Click the “EXPORT” button on the profile page and wait for the file to be downloaded
- Send the downloaded file to your subscriber.
If you want to read it, open it with for example NotePade or NotePad++ on your computer, copy&paste the text for example to this free service.
It generates an easily readable format for humans from the exported data.
Your subscribers have to be able to modify what data they share with you. According to GDPR you only have to share this data with them if they ask for it and change it if they tell you to do so. But it is a difficult and slow process that’s not enough for your subscribers – they want transparency and trustworthy companies.
Therefore, we are introducing Data Update Page.
What is a Data Update Page and why is it good?
Data Update Page is a web page where your subscribers can edit the information they shared with you. They can reach their page by clicking a specific link in your emails’ footers.
It looks like this for your subscribers:
How to setup your Data Update Page?
Firstly, share the custom fields you want to be shown on the Update page.
- Go to Settings/Custom Fields
- Now you see the list of custom fields you use currently. Click the down arrow next to a custom field (right to the “EDIT”) which you want to be shown on your Data Update Page for your subscribers.
- Now choose “SHOW ON UPDATE PAGE” option
- After you click on it, you will see a blue eye icon appear on the custom field you chose. It means that custom field is published on your Update Page.
Secondly, add the Update Page to your emails.
- Create a new or an existing email (drag and drop email), got to the builder and click on the footer block
- Now click the Unsubscribe option on the right side bar
- Scroll down and you will see the “Data Update Page text” tittle. You can customize the anchor text in the box below. When you modify it you will see that the anchor text of the URL is changing in the footer on the left.
How to preview your Data Update Page?
Just send a preview email and click the link in them email that lands in your inbox. You will see dummy data on the website as it is a preview of the Data Update Page.
Collecting information about your subscribers is crucial in order to be able to send relevant, personalized emails. One part of this information is Required (such as email address) and other part of it is optional (anything that isn’t necessary to your emails).
Therefore, from now on you can set whether a custom field in your form is required or not!
How to set up required fields in forms?
- Edit or create a new Signup form in the Contacts/Sign up forms menu
- Go to the form builder
- Click on a form field on the left (the visual editor)
- In the slider bar on the right you will see the options
- The last option is a checkbox with a text “Required field” that is checked by default. It means that your fields has to be filled out by your subscriber in order to be able to submit your form
- If you uncheck this box, the field becomes optional and it is not necessary for your subscriber to fill it out to be able to submit it
In case your have multiple newsletters or you send emails in different topics, you can let your subscribers what type of email communication they are expecting from you.
This is the Preference Page.
What is a Preference Page and why is it good?
One picture tells more than thousands of words – so this is how a preference page looks like in Automizy:
Basically, the Preference Page is a website where your subscribers can customize the emailing experience they get from you.
For example a subscriber doesn’t want to get your Promotions but still interested in your blog articles, therefore:
- she clicks the “Manage Preferences” link in one of your emails’ footer instead of unsubscribing completely,
- arrives to the website you saw above,
- unchecks the “Promotion” option
- and updates her email preferences by clicking the button.
Viola! You don’t lose a subscriber completely – she just tells you what she wants to receive from you and it happens automatically!
How to customize the anchor text for the Preference Page in your emails?
- Create or edit a campaign made by drag&drop email builder.
- In the email editor click on the footer block (the last section of your email)
- In the slider bar on the right choose the “Unsubscribe” tab
- Scroll down and you will see a “Preference Page text” block below the “Unsubscribe” block
- Customize the anchor text that is by default “Manage preferences“
In an email it looks like this:
How to add categories to your Preference Page?
Preferences are basically your lists you add to your Preference Page. Here’s how to show a list on your Preference page:
- Go to Contact menu, to the lists page
- Click on the split button
- Pick the “SHOW ON PREF. PAGE” button and you will see a blue eye icon appear on the list, next to the number of contactsYou can add as many lists to be visible on your website as you want. You can hide them following the same process.